Recognizing that the care of the client is a prime responsibility, the professional fiduciary shall provide services with respect for the dignity and uniqueness of each client. The fiduciary shall not engage in any form of discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, or any other condition or status.
Acting as an advocate in safeguarding the client’s civil and legal rights, the professional fiduciary shall make decisions that maximize and protect the rights of the client, and allow for maximum independence and self-reliance.
Members of the Professional Fiduciary Association of California Shall:
- Judiciously protect the right to privacy by keeping confidential the affairs of the client.
- Comply with all statutory requirements, be knowledgeable of applicable policies and procedures and keep informed of existing local, state and federal laws as a minimum guide for the fulfillment of responsibilities to the clients.
- Never exceed the bounds of legally granted authority.
- Maintain an attitude of fairness, honesty, respect, courtesy and good faith in all professional relationships.
- Cooperate with colleagues to promote common interests and concerns and facilitate ethical and competent professional performance.
- Accept their professional fees as the total compensation for services. Fiduciaries, their associates or their family shall not benefit personally from any estate transaction.
- Manifest personal integrity and assume responsibility and accountability for individual judgments.
- Avoid any conflict of interest or appearance of conflict of interest.
- Seek and maintain competence in professional skills and contribute to the ongoing development of the profession’s body of knowledge.
- Manage estates prudently; with care and judgment, maintaining detailed fiduciary records.
- Seek competent professional advice where this knowledge would benefit the client